DWTS Host Tom Bergeron Announces Exit from the Show after 15 Years – Inside His Sudden Departure
TV host Tom Bergeron recently took to his Twitter account to announce that he had been axed from the ABC show "Dancing With The Stars," bringing an end to an incredible 15 year run as host of the show.
In a move that has since received widespread condemnation from fans of the ABC hit show, "DWTS," producers of the show have opted against allowing the veteran TV host to continue with his job on the program.
The producers also revealed that Bergeron's co-host Erin Andrews would not be returning for season 29 of "DWTS," as the show heads in a new creative direction.
Meanwhile, Bergeron, 65, has hosted the dance competition series through 28 seasons since he took up the job in 2005. During that time, Bergeron took charge of over 400 episodes and was later joined by Andrews as a co-host in 2014.
While breaking the news on his Twitter account, the TV personality described the show as the "most unexpected gift of my career." He continued:
"I'm grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?"
Through a joint statement released on Monday, ABC and BBC studios showed their appreciation for Tom Bergeron's contribution to the reality TV competition through the years, reiterating that he will "forever be part of the Dancing with the Stars family."
Meanwhile, following the announcement and confirmation by Tom Bergeron, former "DWTS" contestant Erin Andrews is yet to make a public statement regarding the shakeup.
Bergeron getting axed from "DWTS" may have come as a surprise to many, but it might end up being a nudge in the right direction.
Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me. It's been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career. I'm grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?— Tom Bergeron (@Tom_Bergeron) July 13, 2020
During his time hosting the show, Bergeron received many accolades, including 11 Emmy Awards nomination, which saw him emerge a winner once in 2012 for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program.
Tom Bergeron seems to have taken the news in his stride, but his fans have not been so forgiving of the show's producers. While showing love to the longest-serving host, they also expressed their displeasure in the show's change in lineup. One particular fan wrote:
"Is this a joke? If you're serious, I'd say DWTS will immediately lose a large portion of their audience."
The show is currently on a forced break due to the new Coronavirus pandemic. However, it has been renewed for the 29th season, even though no date has been announced for the premiere.
In 2018, Tom Bergeron stepped out of his comfort zone when he featured in a short film titled "The Messenger," where he portrayed a messenger who is saddled with the responsibility of delivering notes to people bearing the dates they die.
While speaking about the movie, Bergeron opened up about his desire to pursue an acting career more seriously. He also revealed his "DWTS" job would be his last hosting gig.
Bergeron getting axed from "DWTS" may have come as a surprise to many, but it might end up being a nudge in the right direction as the witty TV host has had his mind focused on acting for some time.