March 06, 2021

25-Year-Old Illinois Man Beats Death 3 Times after Contracting COVID-19

Share this pen


Jason Barbosa, 25, can count himself lucky to be alive. During his four months in the hospital with COVID-19, the doctors informed him he had nearly died three times.

Recently, Jason Barbosa finally met the doctor who saved his life. At the time when he was last treated by Dr. Jeffrey Huml, he was unconscious. Barbosa was in a coma for six weeks due to COVID-19.

Barbosa related that several times he nearly died from the virus as his entire body shut down. The doctors informed his family three times that they would disconnect him.

Jason Barbosa who nearly died three times due to COVID-19. | Photo: YouTube/ABC 7 Chicago


However, Barbosa is on the road to recovery despite this and is now a strong survivor. Northwestern Medicine's Dr. Huml said he is amazed and described Barbosa's recovery as "truly a miracle."

The Barbosa's immediate family, including his wife, their two children, and his parents, are all in Mexico. He was unable to see them during the time he spent in The Central Dupage hospital.

Dr. Jeffrey Huml during an interview. | Photo: YouTube/ABC 7 Chicago


Barbosa had no pre-existing health issues, so Dr. Huml advised that his case should serve as an example to others. COVID-19 should be taken very seriously by young people, he said.

Meanwhile, in Chicago, all four members of a Carol Stream family contracted COVID-19.

Jason Barbosa meeting Dr. Jeffrey Huml who saved his life for the first time. | Photo: YouTube/ABC 7 Chicago


After nearly four months at Central DuPage Hospital, Barbosa was released last August. However, he must still check in frequently while he deals with the virus's aftereffects.

The number of patients treated by Central DuPage was 111 at its height. Today, there are about 25 patients left. However, doctors still emphasize serious illnesses, and even death is still possible.


Meanwhile, in Chicago, all four members of a Carol Stream family contracted COVID-19. Even though they have had some scary moments, they have all survived.

After being diagnosed with COVID-19 in April, Chuck Drungelo spent 19 days on an ECMO machine, a form of life support, at Northwestern's Marianjoy Rehab Center in Wheaton.

The illness also struck Drungelo's son Jordan, wife Diane, and her mother Barbara. The whole situation was a nightmare; all three Drungelos had to be placed in life support.

Barbara was the only one in the family that did not go to the ICU. The whole family now wishes more people would take the virus seriously because of their story.


We at do our best to give you the most updated news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, but the situation is constantly changing. We encourage readers to refer to the online updates from CDС, WHO, or Local Health Departments to stay updated.Take care!