Royal Experts on Meghan & Harry's 'Timeline of Financial Support' from the British Royal Family
In light of Prince Charles and Buckingham Palace making the royal financial accounts public, royal experts weighed in on the financial support Prince Harry and Meghan Markle received.
The royal accounts of Clarence House and Buckingham Palace were made public this week. So royal experts are now debating whether Prince Harry was truthful in his claim that he was financially cut off by the British Royal Family.
The accounts show Prince Charles continued to fund his son and his wife until the summer of 2020, using the £4.4million Clarence House pot which supports both his two sons and their families.
A spokesperson for Clarence House stated that when the Duke of Sussex announced he and Markle's move away from the working Royal Family, he also stated that the couple would work to be financially independent.
Therefore, Prince Charles gave a substantial sum to support this transition. He added that the funding "ceased in the summer of last year" and that Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan are financially independent.
Royal expert Angela Levin questioned the Duke's timeline of events as he previously told Oprah Winfrey that he was cut off in the first quarter of 2020. Levin had a lot to say about the situation during an interview with talkRADIO.
Levin stated that the only excuse she could think for Prince Harry's apparent lie was that the couple "thought the £3-4 million that his father gave him to help set them up was actually nothing and they needed loads more."
Despite the conflicting reports about the financial support timeline, Prince Harry and Clarence House's timelines match up.
Prince Charles funded Harry and Meghan until summer 2020, accounts show, plus a "substantial sum" after Megxit.— talkRADIO (@talkRADIO) June 24, 2021
Royal biographer @angelalevin1: “They thought £3-4 million was nothing and needed more. That's the only excuse I can make for what otherwise is a blatant lie.”@Iromg pic.twitter.com/pF3ZWHELq5
The host of the interview stated that the royal accounts suggested that Prince Harry and Meghan were funded by Prince Charles after they left England, and presumably while they were on Vancouver Island.
Although the talkRADIO host and Levin questioned Prince Harry's claim and made other assumptions about the situation, including the Sussexes' work ethic and why their security was taken away, another royal expert came to the couple's defense.
Royal editor and author Omid Scobie attempted to clear up the confusion on Prince Harry's financial support timeline on Twitter. He shared the clip of the Duke's interview with Winfrey, in which he stated he was financially cut off.
Scobie explained that despite the conflicting reports about the financial support timeline, Prince Harry and Clarence House's timelines match up. Clarence House stated the support ended summer 2020, while Prince Harry stated the end of the first quarter of 2020.
Despite some confusing reports, Prince Charles and Prince Harry’s timelines for the period the Sussexes’ financial support ended are the same. Clarence House says funding continued until last summer (Q1 of the UK’s fiscal year is April to June) and Harry told Oprah the same. pic.twitter.com/uWRNdSVips— Omid Scobie (@scobie) June 24, 2021
Scobie explained that the first quarter of the UK's fiscal year is between April and June. Therefore, although Prince Harry's wording was different, he did mean the end of summer 2020.
It seems the confusion lies in the wording as the BCC explained that the first quarter of the calendar year is January to March, but the first quarter of the financial year is April to June.