logo
Titan submersible | Titan debris ashore | Source: Youtube.com/BBC News | Getty Images
Titan submersible | Titan debris ashore | Source: Youtube.com/BBC News | Getty Images

Remains of Titanic Sub In Which 5 People Died Finally Brought Ashore & Immediately Covered

Daniella Segell
Jun 29, 2023
04:30 A.M.

On June 18, 2023, a submersible vessel traveling to the Titanic wreck disappeared. Over the following week, the world waited as experts gave regular updates about the ship and theorized what may have happened.

Advertisement

The Titan submersible vehicle went missing on a mission to travel to the Titanic wreck. The vessel held five passengers, and the public hoped they would be found alive and well.

Unfortunately, days after the vessel went missing, a remote-operated vehicle found debris from the vessel with no trace of the passengers aboard it. Experts have now said there was likely an implosion of the vessel soon after it disappeared.

Advertisement

Days after the first pieces of debris were found in the ocean, they were brought ashore for closer observation. The debris came aboard a ship called the Horizon Arctic in St John's, Newfoundland, Canada.

The debris was offloaded from the Horizon Arctic at the Canadian Coast Guard pier on June 28, 2023. One of the pieces was the nosehole of the Titan vessel, which the passengers would have used to see the Titanic.

The pieces of debris were covered with tarps before being lifted by a crane onto trucks that hauled them away to be carefully assessed. Some pieces appeared to make up the sub's exterior, while others filled with cables appeared to be part of the inner workings of the vessel.

Advertisement

While the debris was found on the ocean bed and has been brought to the surface to be studied by experts, the remains of the men on board who have been assumed dead have not yet been recovered.

Who Were the Titan Passengers?

When the Titan submersible vessel began its dive toward the Titanic wreck, it held five passengers. Each of the five men had a keen interest in seeing the wreckage and learning more about what it meant for humanity.

Advertisement

OceanGate, the company that arranged the trip, has said that the five men likely did not survive the implosion just hours after the vessel began its dive on June 18, 2023.

The passengers were a British businessman named Hamish Harding, a Pakistani businessman named Shahzada Dawood and his son, Suleman, a French explorer and Titanic expert named Paul-Henri Nargeolet, and the CEO of OceanGate, Stockton Rush.

OceanGate gave a statement shortly after the debris from the Titan had been found by the remote-operated vehicle, which said:

"We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood, his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet have sadly been lost. These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world's oceans."

Advertisement

Harding was the chairman of Action Aviation, a company that sells private aircraft to various organizations and people. He was a successful businessman and avid explorer who has even won Guinness World Records.

Shahzada and Suleman Dawood come from one of the wealthiest families in Pakistan. Suleman was the 19-year-old son of Shahzada and his wife and the brother to Alina. The Dawood family released a statement thanking the public for their concern and prayers.

Paul-Henri Nargeolet was an avid Titanic explorer and knew so much about the vessel because he had traveled to it many times. He led six expeditions down to the site and was described as "an all-around good guy."

Stockton Rush was the CEO of OceanGate and was also the Titan's pilot for this mission. He confirmed in 2022 that the project still had not turned a profit, but he went on the mission to discover more about the Titanic. Rest in peace to the Titan passengers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Related posts

Taylor Swift, 36, Stuns in Seafoam Green Corset Set at the 2026 iHeartRadio Music Awards Red Carpet – Photos

March 27, 2026

Jennifer Lopez, 57, Takes Daughter Emme, 18, to a Los Angeles Beauty Salon for a $300 Glamorous Makeover – Photos

March 27, 2026

Mariah Carey, 57, Sparks Buzz Shopping In Style At Upscale Grocery Store – Photos

March 27, 2026

Fans Compare JLo to Cher After Her Latest Look – What's Behind It

March 27, 2026

Fox News Anchor Tori Carmen Reveals Health Update and Sparks Reaction

March 27, 2026

Taylor Swift's Reaction To Miley Cyrus Accepting The iHeartRadio Innovator Award At The 2026 iHeartRadio Music Awards Sparks Buzz – Video

March 27, 2026

28-Year-Old Sydney Sweeney Igniting Buzz With a Message About Her Brother Trent – Photo

March 27, 2026

A 25 year old woman went against her parents to receive euthanasia - Noelia Castillo's latest interview

March 27, 2026

Sarah Michelle Gellar, 48, Attends the 'Wedding Nightmare 2' Premiere, Igniting Buzz Over Her Tanned Look – Photos

March 27, 2026

50-Year-Old Tiger Woods Involved in an Incident in Florida – Photos

March 28, 2026

74-Year-Old Jill Biden's Secret Service Agent Causes an Incident in a Car at Philadelphia Airport – Video

March 28, 2026