Police are asking for the public’s help to find 5-year-old boy who’s been missing for one month

Junie Sihlangu
Jan 28, 2019
09:34 A.M.
Share this pen

Lucas Hernandez has been missing for over a month. His stepmother alleged that the boy disappeared while she slept.


According to Inquisitr, police asked the public for help in finding the boy on March 16, 2018. A neighborhood group was started to try and help police to find the boy.

Lucas Hernandez, 5, vanished without a trace from his Wichita, Kansas, home on February 16, 2018. Police still continue to search for him.

Last Friday, Wichita Police Department spokesperson Charley Davidson spoke out about Hernandez. He told the public that the boy’s case was still a very active investigation, according to the Hays Post.


Davidson stated that authorities needed information from the public at large to help them find the boy. According to KWCH 12, Lucas Warriors is a group of citizens that have heeded the call to help search for the missing boy.

The group met last Saturday outside the Intrust Bank Arena to spread the word about the toddler’s case. A member of the group, Julie LaForce shared that she loved to tell Hernandez’s story.

LaForce added that she thought he was a precious little boy. Another member of the group, Sheila Medlam, admitted that she would do whatever it took to bring the boy home.

"I know myself personally; I'm extremely quiet and kind of shy, so to be out here in the middle of thousands of people is a hard thing for me to do. But at this point, I would do anything to bring Lucas home.”


Sheila Medlam, KWCH 12, March 17, 2018

But, she noted that at this particular time, she would do “anything to bring Lucas home.” According to the Hays Post, police are working with the well-known search-and-rescue group Texas Equusearch to try to locate Hernandez.

Texas Equusearch gave Lucas Warriors training to help find the toddler. The Wichita Eagle stated that the toddler was reported missing by his stepmother, Emily Glass, 26, on February 17 at around 6:15 p.m.

She told police that she last saw him in his bedroom at about 3 p.m. Glass revealed that she had taken a shower and then fell asleep and when she woke up, the boy was gone.


An Amber Alert was not issued for Hernandez because, according to police, there was no evidence that he had been abducted. Glass was later charged with child endangerment.

It’s alleged that on February 16, a day before she reported Hernandez missing, she had allowed a 1-year-old child to be placed in a dangerous situation. Glass has a 1-year-old daughter.

She remains behind bars in the Sedgwick County Jail on a $50,000 bond. Hernandez was born December 3, 2012, and is described as being approximately 4 feet in height and weighing about 60 pounds.


He has brown hair and brown eyes and was last seen wearing a gray shirt with a bear on it, black sweatpants, and white socks. The boy is missing his top front teeth and has silver caps on his other teeth.

He also has a small scar on the upper left side of his abdomen from a prior medical procedure. The Wichita Police Department is urging anyone with information regarding Hernandez to call on their tip line at 316-383-4661.

Tipsters can also call 620-267-2111 or 620-268-4407.