3-year-old left in car was confirmed dead as result of heat exhaustion
The coroner has already announced her cause of death, and the police have confirmed they have launched an investigation.
3-year-old Hannah Grace Miller was found unresponsive inside her parents' car by her father in Anderson, Indiana. He performed CPR and had her rushed to the hospital, but it was too late to save her.
As reported by Fox 59, it is believed that the little girl had been left in the car for at least two hours.
The Madison County Coroner's office confirmed that her cause of death was acute heat exhaustion/overheating. There was no additional trauma found to the little girl, and the death is not currently being treated as suspicious.
Anderson Police Department Major Joel Sandefur has said that the department is investigating, and that they want to perform as thorough an investigation as possible to get to the right conclusion.
At this point, no criminal charges have been filed, and Sandefur says that Hannah's parents are fully cooperating.
Kidsandcars.org ranks Indiana as among the worst 30 states for for children dying in hot cars, with 11 cases since 1997.
In 2018, eight hot car deaths have already been reported. There are another four pending.
Wayne Township Fire Department Captain Michael Pruitt wants to share news of these deaths as far and wide as possible, in order to remind frazzled parents to always remove their children from the car.
"It's sad when this happens so all we can do is push this awareness out there to make people stop and just think for a second to do things to remind them that the child's in the backseat, car needs to be locked and take those safety precautions," he said.