Popular snack recalled because of potential presence of dangerous bacteria
On July 21, Mondelēz Global issued a statement saying it was voluntarily recalling some of its Ritz products due to a potential risk of salmonella.
In their statement, the company shared that it was recalling 16 Ritz products. The detailed list of the exact products was also given.
Mondelēz Global, the Hanover, New Jersey-based company said it was recalling 16 varieties of Ritz Cracker Sandwiches and Ritz Bits products in the US. The recall is also effective in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
The products contain whey powder, which its supplier has recalled due to the potential presence of salmonella. So far, no illnesses have been reported. For more on this story go to our Twitter account @amomama_usa.
Salmonella is described as a microorganism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections. People infected with salmonella often experience fever and diarrhea; which may be bloody.
It can have serious implications in especially young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
They can also go through nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, the infection can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses.
It can cause arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis, and arthritis. This recall is said to be limited to the products listed below which are available at retail stores nationwide.
No other Mondelēz Global products were in this recall. The products that were affected are:
1. Ritz Bits Cheese Big Bag
2. Ritz Bits Cheese 1 Oz.
3. Ritz Bits Cheese 12-Pack Carton
4. Ritz Bits Cheese 30-Pack Carton
5. Ritz Bits Cheese 1.5 Oz.
6. Ritz Bitz Cheese 3 Oz. Go Packs
7. 10.8 Oz. Ritz Cheese Cracker Sandwiches
8. 1.35 Oz. Ritz Cheese Cracker Sandwiches
9. 10.8 Oz. Ritz Bacon Cracker Sandwiches With Cheese
10. 1.35 Oz. Ritz Bacon Cracker Sandwiches With Cheese
11. 10.8 Oz. Ritz Whole Wheat Cracker Sandwiches With White Cheddar Cheese
12. 1.35 Oz. Ritz Whole Wheat Cracker Sandwiches With White Cheddar Cheese
13. 10.8 Oz. Ritz Everything Cracker Sandwiches With Cream Cheese
14. 1.35 Oz. Ritz Everything Cracker Sandwiches With Cream Cheese
15. Mixed Cookie Cracker Variety 20-Pack
16. Mixed Cookie Cracker Variety 40-Pack
The company revealed that it was conducting the recall as a precautionary measure. It advised consumers who have these products to not eat them, and throw them out immediately.
Mondelēz Global shared that consumers could contact them at 1-844-366-1171, 24 hours a day to get more information about the recall. It has made Consumer Relations specialists available to assist from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST.