This is Narcan and here's the reason why it would have been given to Demi Lovato after drug overdose
Demi Lovato's friends reportedly gave her Narcan before the paramedics arrived on the scene. That immediate action probably saved her life.
The 25-year-old pop star was found unconscious at her Hollywood Hills home after reportedly overdosing recently.
It was reported that friends of Demi had given her Narcan.
Follow us on our Twitter account @amomama_usa to learn more.
A source told US Weekly: "One of her friends had Narcan on hand in case something like this happened."
"Her friends knew this was coming because she’s been using so much again."
Luckily, the Cool for the Summer singer, who was honored with the GLAAD Vanguard Award for her activism in April 2016, is currently awake and stable, according to People.
It's still not clear what Drug Demi may have overdosed on, though TMZ originally reported it was heroin - one of the drugs Narcan can reverse the effects of.
But insiders close to Demi have since told The Blast that they're adamant the singer was not using heroin.
"Demi is awake and with her family who want to express thanks to everyone for the love, prayers and support. Some of the information being reported is incorrect and they respectfully ask for privacy and not speculation as her health and recovery is the most important thing right now," Demi's representative told NBC.
What is Narcan and how does it work?
Narcan is a brand name for the drug Naloxone and is a medication used to block the effects of opioids like heroin, fentanyl and morphine, according to Mirror.
It is commonly called a heroin 'antidote' and can be purchased from high street pharmacies like Walgreens.
Using an auto-injector, Narcan can be sprayed into the nose or injected directly into a muscle.
It is on the World Health Organisation's list of essential medicines.