logo

Priest slaps crying baby during baptism when he won't calm down (video)

Rebelander Basilan
Oct 09, 2018
01:21 P.M.

A disturbing footage which seemed to demonstrate a French-speaking Catholic priest slapping a crying child after he lost his temper while administering at its baptism has gone viral.

Posted to YouTube in June 2018, the video shows Father Jacques Lacroix holding a crying baby next to a baptismal font, and trying to calm him. But he turns out to be increasingly frustrated by the child’s shouts, and at one point slaps him in the face.

The adults, who appear to be the parents, surrounding the infant are noticeably shocked by this, and attempt to take the child back from the priest’s arms.

Follow us on our Twitter account, @amomama_usa, to learn more and scroll down to watch the video below.

Source: YouTube/jean bolide

Source: YouTube/jean bolide

The priest, however, holds the infant much closer to him, at one point appearing to cover the child’s face with his hand.

The 43-second video ends with a man, possibly the infant's dad or godfather, pulling the kid away from Lacroix. But the priest battles to hold on to the baby.

As reported by People, the priest has been recognized and suspended from all baptisms and marriage celebrations.

Source: YouTube/jean bolide

Source: YouTube/jean bolide

The Meaux Dioceses in France released a statement that Lacroix has been expelled from all activities surrounding the church after the video circulated around the web.

The statement read: “Since June 21, a video circulates in the press and social networks on which we can see a priest (89 years), celebrate the baptism of a child in Seine-et-Marne."

"This short video is an excerpt from the celebration which the baby cries a lot. The elderly priest loses his temper and slaps the child. Aware of this inappropriate gesture, the priest apologized to the family at the end of the baptism,” the statement added.

Source: YouTube/jean bolide

Source: YouTube/jean bolide

The diocese wrote Lacroix was likely tired when the little boy started to cry even though they added that the senior's conduct “does not excuse him.”

“On Friday, June 22, Bishop Nahmias, Bishop of Meaux, took provisional measures to ensure that the priest was suspended from all baptism and marriage celebrations,” the statement continued. “These measures also require him not to intervene on the Collegiate Church of Champeaux now and to celebrate masses only at the express request of the parish priest.”

“Let us confide to the Lord the family of the baptized and our brother Jacques Lacroix,” it concluded.

In an interview with France Info radio, Lacroix called the incident as “something between a caress and a little slap.”

“The child was bawling and I needed to turn his head so I could pour the water. I was saying ‘be quiet’ but he wouldn’t calm down,” the priest explained. “It was something between a caress and a little slap. I was trying to calm him down, I didn’t really know what to do.”

The video of the occurrence was shared online, causing anger and ire by many people who saw it.

info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Related posts

Single Dad Adopts Girl with Special Needs Abandoned near Church, Birth Mom Shows up on Her B-Day – Story of the Day

February 26, 2024

'Pray for the Baby': Police Raid 'Wrong House' with a 17-Month-Old Special-Needs Boy Inside

January 19, 2024

9-Year-Old Boy Lives Alone in Cold Flat for 2 Years & Survives on Eating Canned Goods, Cake, and Stolen Tomatoes

January 26, 2024

Janet Jackson Separated from Husband 3 Months after Childbirth – Her Priority Now

February 15, 2024

Janet Jackson Separated from Husband 3 Months after Childbirth – Her Priority Now

February 14, 2024

11-Month-Old Baby Tragically Loses His Life the Day after Taking His First Steps

January 30, 2024

My Husband Asked Me through Tears to Be Mom to One of the Twins He Had with His Late Mistress

November 02, 2023

Walmart Worker Wanting to Help a Shivering Boy in Only a Diaper in the Freezing Cold Gets Fired

January 29, 2024

College Lecturer Returns Home Earlier and Sees Husband with Her Student in Bedroom – Story of the Day

April 05, 2024

I Found Out My Daughter Was Bullying Another Girl over Her Hair and Addressed It with a Teachable Moment

February 13, 2024

Hulk Hogan, 70, Gets Baptized After Starting 'New Life' with His Wife – Video 'Fills' Fan's Heart

December 21, 2023

Alex Batty, Missing for 6 Years, Finally Returned to Family – His Survival for Food & Shelter

December 18, 2023

My In-Laws' Spa Weekend Christmas Gift Feels Like a Slap in the Face

December 04, 2023

John Travolta’s Late Wife Kelly Preston Didn’t Consider the Risks & Got Pregnant at 47 — Pics of Their ‘Miracle’ Boy Now

January 30, 2024