logo

Parents claim daughter died because hospital refused to do x-rays after she swallowed a battery

Junie Sihlangu
Nov 15, 2018
12:30 P.M.

Isabella Rees died on February 4, 2015, at the age of 14 months. She died in hospital after she swallowed a button battery.

Advertisement

Her parents are now attending a coronial hearing at the Coroners Court of Victoria to investigate her final days alive and her death.

Isabella Rees’ mother Allison Rees told the hearing that she and her husband, Robert, had taken the little girl to Melbourne's Sunshine Hospital when they realized something was wrong. They went a total of three times in just two weeks.

The parents were concerned that something was stuck inside her throat. January 16, 2015, was the first time they went to the emergency room.

Advertisement

For more on this story go to our Twitter account @amomama_usa. Robert shared that he had seen the baby holding a double-A battery at their Taylor's Hill home.

During one visit the medical staff even asked them if there was a chance she had swallowed something. However, a doctor informed Allison that it wasn’t possible and that whatever was inside her was just "passing through."

Little Isabella suffered from blackened feces, a fever, clots, and she was also vomiting blood vomiting. Her mother took the toddlers dirty nappies, blood clots found in the cot, and images as proof to the hospital.

Advertisement

However, the hospital still wasn’t convinced. Allison shared:

"Because every time we went we had evidence … we were just disregarded and turned away. It felt like we were hypochondriacs."

Baby Isabella was denied an x-ray or an ultrasound. For the inquest, Coroner Caitlin English has been working to determine whether the hospital provided appropriate care to the little girl.

English is also trying to figure out when the baby likely swallowed the button battery. The battery is a mystery to the Rees’ as they claimed to not know where it came from because none of the appliances in their home was missing a battery.

Advertisement

Allison said the family was unsure how the baby came into contact with the object, or where the button battery came from because devices in their home were not missing any batteries.

Advertisement

Allison revealed that the reason she wanted the case taken to inquest was not to place blame but to better educate people about the risk of leaving children around batteries. The inquest is expected to hear 17 witnesses including family, medical experts, and Sunshine Hospital staff.

In the same year, Brianna Florer, 2, suddenly fell ill on December 27. Her grandfather shared that she started vomiting blood and then turned blue.

Her parents called paramedics and she was taken to hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma. However, the toddler died after two hours of emergency surgery attempting to stop the internal bleeding.

It was found that she had swallowed a button battery.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Michael Strahan’s Daughter, 19, Was Hospitalized after Starting New Chemo Treatment: Details

February 26, 2024

Michael Strahan’s Daughter, 19, Was Hospitalized after Starting New Chemo Treatment: Details

February 23, 2024

Michael Strahan's Daughter Shares a Backstage Look of Her First Interview Post-Brain Tumor Diagnosis – Video

January 19, 2024

Michael Strahan Was by His Daughter's Bedside After Her Brain Tumor Diagnosis at 19: Details & Photos

January 12, 2024

Michael Strahan’s Twin Daughter Isabella Announces Malignant Brain Tumor Diagnosis – Details

January 11, 2024

People Ignore Single Mom-Of-Four Stranded with Her Kids, Elderly Man Knocks Her Car Window

February 07, 2024

Who Is 'GMA' Host Michael Strahan's Daughter Who Helped Her Twin Sister Walk Again after Brain Surgery?

January 12, 2024

Susan Cavallari Is Clint Walker's Third Wife Who Survives Him

December 10, 2023

Michael Strahan’s Life in Home Where He Spends Time with His Ill Daughter & Girlfriend of Almost 8 Years

January 19, 2024

This Girl, Who Became a Famous Actress at 19, Is Battling an Incurable Disease & Helping Others Like Her

December 02, 2023

Texas Mom of 10 Boys Prays for a Baby Girl – Dies 11 Days after Giving Birth to Her First Daughter

November 10, 2023

Couple Adopt Abandoned Red-Skinned Baby Predicted to Die Young, Raise Her into a Successful Woman

November 04, 2023

Doctor Said I'm Pregnant but I Have Not Slept with a Man for 6 Years

May 03, 2024

'I Don't Want to Die': Shannen Doherty, 52, Shares Cancer's Significant Decline & Emphasizes No Cure Yet

November 30, 2023