Detroit boy, 9, who was tragically killed in house fire saves 4 lives through organ donation
A nine-year-old boy who died from complications after being caught in a house fire last week has saved the lives of four other people who received his donated organs.
Orlando “O.J” Cosby, his six-year-old brother Jayden Pettway, and their mother, Jasmine Cosby, were sleeping in their Hubbell, Detroit home when the fire started on February 13, Fox 5 reports.
The mother and her kids suffered varying degrees of injuries and were taken to the hospital for treatment.
Jasmine was treated for severe burns on her face while Jayden was reportedly burned almost throughout his body.
"We thank his family for doing a heroic thing on what was undoubtedly the worst day of their lives."
He is said to be still recovering in intensive care at Detroit Children's Hospital where doctors have him heavily sedated due to the pain.
Sadly, O.J suffered severe internal injuries as a result of inhaling smoke, and on Sunday, Jasmine made the painful decision to have her son taken off life support.
According to a cousin, Yoletta Hall, Jasmine decided to donate O.J’s organs.
Betsy Miner-Swartz, the communications manager for Gift of Life Michigan, revealed that five of O.J’s organs were donated to four people who now owe their lives to the boy who died just days before his 10th birthday.
O.J’s left kidney and pancreas reportedly went to one patient, his right kidney went to another, and a liver was used to help two different people.
"We thank his family for doing a heroic thing on what was undoubtedly the worst day of their lives creating miracles for four other families.”
HERO: After his mother made the difficult decision to take 9-year-old O.J. off life support because of severe internal injuries suffered during a house fire, the family has saved four people's lives with the donation of his organs. https://t.co/lHC7DtAze6— FOX 35 Orlando (@fox35orlando) February 18, 2019
Meanwhile, a GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family with O.J’s funeral costs and other medical expenses.
“Their house was burned to the foundation of the house, losing everything that they had in [their] home,” wrote the creator of the fundraising page. “And now they have to prepare to lay O.J to rest.”
“They were a part of the Michigan Bulldog Family, where family is always first. We are asking for the support of family and friends to help us in being a blessing to this family in their time of need.”
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the grieving family at this difficult time.
ⓘ The information in this article is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, and images contained on, or available through this NEWS.AMOMAMA.COM is for general information purposes only. NEWS.AMOMAMA.COM does not take responsibility for any action taken as a result of reading this article. Before undertaking any course of treatment please consult with your healthcare provider.