Getty Images  | Youtube.com/Ryan Reynolds
Source: Getty Images | Youtube.com/Ryan Reynolds

Rick Moranis of 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids' Makes Rare Appearance 24 Years after Hollywood Exit

Lois Oladejo
Sep 11, 2020
04:30 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail

After leaving Hollywood to raise his kids following his wife's death, actor Rick Moranis shocks fans by appearing in a Mint Mobile advert alongside actor Ryan Reynolds, 24 years later.

Advertisement

In 1991, actor Rick Moranis lost his wife and made the tough decision of leaving Hollywood to focus on raising his two kids. Now, after the more-than-two-decades hiatus, actor Ryan Reynolds shocked the world by bringing Moranis back in a Mint Mobile ad. Right before Moranis stepped on screen, Reynolds began:

"...So to introduce it, we brought in an actor we've all gone too long without."

Actor Rick Moranis at the premiere of The Nutcracker on November 21, 1993 | Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement

Moranis then walked into the frame and asked the "Deadpool" star if he needed to say something about Mint. Reynolds, who was clearly "fangirling" over Moranis, said no and told him that he was only there because he was such a huge fan.

As humble as ever, Morans of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" fame urged Reynolds to stop with the praises as the "Deadpool" actor continued to gush over him shyly.

Advertisement

As awkward as the video was intended to be — a hilarious exchange between one superstar and a totally obsessed fan — the comment section was brimming with love and adoration for Moranis, with all of them excited to see him after so long.

Moranis admitted that he is now open to the idea of returning to acting.

Advertisement

Moranis is a comedy legend known for appearing in the hit movies, "Ghostbusters," "Little Shop of Horrors," and "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids." Following his impressive success streak was the hiatus after which, moviegoers started to miss the actor sorely.

In a 2015 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Moranis opened up about his life after exiting the Hollywood scene and what his career had become due to that significant decision. He said:

"I took a break, which turned into a longer break. But...I still get the occasional query about a film or television role."

Advertisement

Moranis admitted that he is now open to the idea of returning to acting if he is offered a role that sufficiently piques his interest. That, however, is definitely not going to be a reboot of "Ghostbusters."

The 67-year-old admitted that he had been asked to return for a reboot of the movie, but he just was not interested. Yes, he is picky, but he knew that being picky had always worked for him.

Advertisement

Although a "Ghostbusters" reboot allegedly made no sense to Moranis, it seemed like a reboot to "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids" sounded much better as he is reportedly set to star in one anytime soon.

Moranis stepped away from Hollywood in the '90s following the tragedy that hit his family. Fans never stopped missing him, and now after so many years, it seems that Moranis is ready to return to his loving fans.

Advertisement