logo
 twitter.com/Mike_Hixenbaugh
twitter.com/Mike_Hixenbaugh

Texas Dad Shares Terrifying Experience Trying to Get Choking Son to Emergency Room Amid Crisis

Bettina Dizon
Feb 20, 2021
01:40 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterLinkedInLinkedInEmailEmail

Texas news reporter, Mike Hixenbaugh, detailed his harrowing experience rushing his son through snow-covered roads to get him to a hospital with no water.

Advertisement

Mike Hixenbaugh never imagined that he would one day fear for his son's life amid a pandemic and winter storm that left more than 140 people stranded.

"Texas is a disaster," the father wrote in a Tweet. Hixenbaugh had just lost electricity in his home when his two-year-old began choking on a peanut in their pitch-black home.

Heavy snowfall that covered the cars on the street. | Source: Shutterstock

Heavy snowfall that covered the cars on the street. | Source: Shutterstock

Advertisement

According to the NBC reporter, calling for help in their cold home with no electricity was impossible, hence his decision to rush his toddler to the nearest hospital with no water. He said:

"Thank God I had signal at the moment when the hospital called me back and said, 'Wait, we found something on the CT scan. He needs emergency surgery."

Advertisement

Hixenbaugh drove back to the hospital, speeding through stop signs and intersections with no lights. He had his wife and kids with him since they did not want to be separated at a time with no stable means of communication.

Over 24 people have reportedly died due to the freezing temperature.

Advertisement

Thankfully, doctors were able to perform the surgery on time successfully. The dad-of-four revealed the hospital's state, with many nurses worn out even amid the freezing climate, yet doing their all to save lives.

According to Stanford Children's Health, adults can help when a child is choking. However, dialing 911 should be the first action done. A parent or companion should then stand behind the child and wrap their arms around the child's waist, with one making a fist.

Advertisement

The adult should press into the abdomen, between the chest and navel, and quickly push in an upward position until the object or food comes out.

Regardless if the food or object comes out or not, bringing the child to a hospital is a must to see if any particle was left inside the body that may cause further complications.

Advertisement

Several blackouts have occurred in Texas recently, along with the winter storm that affected many. Over 24 people have reportedly died due to the freezing temperature, including one family who was found lifeless after trying to light the fireplace.

Another family also experienced demise after choosing to draw warmth from the car exhaust in their garage. It has undoubtedly been a devastating few months with terrible news left and right.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Carefree Wife Mocks Hardworking Husband, after His Hospitalization They Switch Places – Story of the Day

February 02, 2022

Stepson Mocked by Adoptive Parents & Their Children Finds Letters They Hid from Him – Story of the Day

March 12, 2022

Old Lady Shares Gas with Man Rushing to Sick Mom, Her Kindness Is Rewarded When Bank Calls Her— Story of the Day

April 23, 2022

Boy Notices Lights off in Old Lady’s House for Days, Approaches and Hears a Whisper of ‘Help’ – Story of the Day

February 20, 2022