A pedestrian bridge has collapsed in Florida recently. So far, police have stated that 4 people are dead and many more are critical.
According to Fox News, the incident occurred on March 15, 2018. Fellow drivers and witnesses tried to help those who were injured in the collapse.
A newly installed pedestrian bridge at Florida International University in Miami collapsed suddenly on Thursday. Officials have confirmed that four people have died and at least 10 others have been hospitalized, two with critical injuries.
Lianet Sado, who owns a restaurant near the site of the collapse, spoke to Fox News' Shepard Smith. "There was a car that was completely crushed on the front part, so it was very safe to assume, unfortunately, that the driver and co-pilot were both crushed completely," Sado said.
The restaurateur shared that the police quickly moved her away from the scene. She revealed that the front of the cars involved in the incident was like Coca-Cola cans that were thrown with a 57-pound rock on top until they became nothing.
Jacob Miller, a senior at FIU, told reporters, according to Fox's KPTV that he saw multiple cars crushed under the bridge and it was terrible. He recalled seeing some people stopping their cars, trying to get out, and trying to assess the situation to see if there was anything they could do to help.
"But then there was this young boy in the back of the car, full of blood, and basically begging for someone to help him. And that's something I'm not going to be able to get out of my head because I'm a mother of a kid, too."
Lianet Sado, Fox News, March 16, 2018
Local police detective Juan Llera shared that he came across one construction worker who was losing consciousness, another with a leg injury, and a third who was lying unconscious in the street. He remembered hearing a ‘boom’ sound like a bomb had exploded.
Llera stated that his first thought was that it was a terrorist attack. The detective began performing CPR on one of the injured workers.
The companies involved in the construction of the bridge have been accused of negligent safety practices. Miami-based Munilla Construction Management was the one that reportedly took on the bridge contract.
It was accused in a lawsuit from earlier this month of hiring incompetent, inexperienced, unskilled or careless employees.