logo

Woman died 2 months after contracting flesh-eating bacteria while on vacation

Rebelander Basilan
Jun 15, 2018
10:27 P.M.

Carol Martin has passed away after developing a flesh-eating bacteria called necrotizing fasciitis. Her husband believed that she was infected when she used a hot tub during a vacation to Florida.

Advertisement

In February this year, Carol, 50, traveled to Clearwater, Florida for a family vacation and to watch the races. The family stayed at a hotel while there.

After they returned to Indianapolis from their trip, Carol noticed a sore on her butt.

Carol's husband, Richard Martin, told WFLA: “She had like a pimple come up on her right butt cheek. She said it was kind of painful."

A week later, the sore no longer resembled a pimple as it was growing.

Fox 59 reported that Carol went to the doctor's office to get the sore checked out. However, St. Francis Hospital sent her home twice with antibiotics and a heating pad.

Richard thought Carol didn't receive proper medical treatment.

“At least by the second time they should have decided this is growing and maybe we should take a culture of it and see what it is,” he said, according to Fox 59.

Advertisement

Richard added: “I feel like they did not want to do that because she did not have insurance. The way they handled all this is screwed up.”

On Carol's third visit to St. Francis Hospital, doctors did a biopsy and discovered that she had necrotizing fasciitis, a rare, yet very dangerous, bacterial infection of the skin.

“In the emergency room they said ‘we are sorry but she has a flesh-eating bacteria, we have to rush her to surgery right now,'” Richard told WRTV.

Carol underwent two surgeries and spent more than two weeks in intensive care. Just days after they discharged her, Carol died at home.

“She made me lunch, I kissed her goodbye to go to work. I come home early in the morning and found her passed away,” Richard said, according to The Indy Channel. “We should have the answers and know why this went where it did.”

Richard believed that Carol may have contracted the infection at the Florida hotel’s hot tub.

“My thing is, nobody else got it, the flesh-eating bacteria. She was the only one that got in the hot tub,” he told WFLA.

An autopsy was completed after Carol’s death. The Marion County Coroner collected tissue samples from her body for analyzation of the infection to determine if the bacteria was the contributing factor in her death.

Read more on our Twitter account @amomama_usa.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Patients Reveal the Most Awkward Doctor Visit They've Ever Had

January 10, 2024

15 Best Christmas Movies of All Time to Get You into the Festive Spirit

December 14, 2023

Patrick Duffy Retreated to Ranch on His Own after Wife of 43 Years Died — Years Later He Took New Soulmate There

December 07, 2023

Boy Blows Candles on B-Day Cake and Suddenly Falls to the Floor Unconscious – Story of the Day

October 30, 2023

22 Real-Life Stories of the Worst Betrayals of Best Friends

December 26, 2023

Kevin Costner’s Vacations at 160-Acre Ranch During Divorce — There Is Trap Door Leading To ‘Special’ Room

December 28, 2023

People Share Over 25 Worst Bridezillas Stories

December 26, 2023

Children of Cheapskate Parents Reveal Their Most Insane Stories

November 30, 2023

43 Real-Life Stories of the Worst Betrayals of Best Friends

October 30, 2023

Woman Comes to Adopt a Child and Sees Her Late Son There – Story of the Day

December 15, 2023

Hotel Maid Takes Revenge on the Guest Until He Finds Out That They Have Already Met Once – Story of the Day

December 15, 2023

People Share The Weirdest And Worst Things Their Roommates Ever Did

November 22, 2023

Man Finds 3 Kids in His Basement, Learns They Secretly Live There Alone for a Year – Story of the Day

October 26, 2023

People Share Best Loopholes That They Exploited For Years

November 03, 2023