September 03, 2019
In his new memoir, Rick Ross claims codeine and a cocktail of drugs caused his seizures including the serious one he had last year. The rapper also reveals disregarding doctors' orders at the time.
Rick Ross escaped death more than once in his life but his 2018 seizure was a turning point that led to his new memoir, “Hurricanes: My Life is a Movie” where he details what really caused the attack and several others he had in the past years.
In the autobiography co-written by Neil Martinez-Belkin, Ross provides shocking details surrounding his seizures and what led to them. He admits drug use as the main cause, particularly codeine, an opioid cough medicine he would take in large doses to cope with stress.
Ross adds that the codeine combined with a cocktail of drugs he was taking became his recipe for disaster.
“That [codeine] mixed with the things I was drinking, the other drugs I was doing, and on top of not resting. [I don’t think] one particular thing would have killed me. But everything combined?” he told People while promoting his book.
Though Ross clarified that he did not suffer a heart attack as most people thought and that he was not on life support, he took that episode as a sign to start cleaning up.
The 43-year-old's 2018 hospitalization where he described feeling like a VIP surrounded by many people became a wake-up call after previous seizures unfazed him. In fact, he blames his delinquency in following doctors’ orders for his scary episode last year.
“I went I don’t know how long without taking the medication to prove to myself ‘I’m stronger than these other people this s— was diagnosed for. I ended up back in the hospital in a worse condition.”
Though Ross clarified that he did not suffer a heart attack as most people thought and that he was not on life support, he took that episode as a sign to start cleaning up. He’s no longer dependent on codeine and he cut down on sodas and takes water more. He also incorporates vegetables in his diet and takes a lot of rest.
In March 2018, he was rushed to the hospital after he was discovered unresponive in his Florida home.
Back in 2011, Ross was rushed to the hospital after suffering back-to-back seizures on two separate flights. He revealed then that his seizures were caused by his lack of sleep and diet. Doctors diagnosed him to be hypertensive and advised him to lose weight.
Peaking at 350 pounds, Ross strived to change his lifestyle and successfully lost close to a hundred pounds and was even down to 200 by 2014. He has maintained his weight since then.
However, in March 2018, he was rushed to the hospital after he was discovered unresponsive in his Florida home. He was released days later and said to have suffered pneumonia.
The following month, news broke that the singer had difficulty breathing shortly before a performance in New York City. He denied having a seizure then but employed a masseuse to relieve him and was able to perform an hour later.
Ross’ new book promises to be an explosive tell-all about his journey from childhood to his days growing up in the 80s to his road to stardom. It also digs deeper into his controversial feud with 50 Cent and Birdman and the drive-by shooting he survived.
“My life is really a movie,” he says, affirming his book’s title. “That’s why I speak the way I speak in my music.”
These days, Ross reflects, “There’s nothing for me to complain about.” He adds, “ I’m just living and being much more genuine.”
Ross’s memoir will be on bookstands by September 3.