The Times: Meghan Markle Signs Deal with Disney Amid Plans to Step Back from Royal Duties
Amid discussions with the royal family about Prince Harry and his family's decision to "step down" as senior members of the royal family, his wife Meghan Markle has reportedly signed a deal with Disney.
After Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made the unexpected announcement that they would be "stepping down" as senior members of the royal family, Meghan has gone back to her acting career.
According to The Times, Meghan has signed a voiceover deal with Disney. The income she will make from the project will benefit Elephants Without Borders. It is a chairty that works on conservation efforts for wildlife.
View this post on Instagram
Some more behind the scenes moments of The Duke and 200 children planting trees in Chobe National Park! The Duke of Sussex has kicked off the next leg of #RoyalTourAfrica by planting trees in Chobe National Park with children from local primary schools. The Duke planted a baobab, which are severely under threat across Africa, which will live for 1000 years! Each child grew their sapling from seed in recycled milk tins from the elephant orphanage, using fertilised soil from the orphans’ dung! The park is home to a huge elephant population – more than 17,000 – along with some of the world’s most diverse and vibrant eco-systems. The people, wildlife and whole area rely on the Chobe River to survive, but many species and indigenous trees are sadly now extinct. There is critical need to secure the forest so wildlife have access to the river. The Duke was welcomed by his close friend Dr Mike Chase, Founder of Elephant Without Borders (@elephantswithoutborders), who has dedicated his life to supporting Botswana’s people and Elephants. ‘If you look after nature, it will look after you’ – The Duke of Sussex The Duke will shortly continue the tour with stops in Angola 🇦🇴 and Malawi 🇲🇼 focussing on community, HIV/AIDS and environment. #RoyalVisitBotswana Video©️ SussexRoyal
The deal with Disney is in line with the couple's announcement that they are seeking financial independence and will be balancing their lives between England and North America. Their newly launched website, Sussex Royal, revealed:
"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex take great pride in their work and are committed to continuing their charitable endeavours as well as establishing new ones. In addition, they value the ability to earn a professional income, which in the current structure they are prohibited from doing."
"You do know she does voiceovers...You seem surprised. She's really interested."
The conversation shows Bob looking surprised over the royal couple's interest in film. However, it proves that the couple had been planning for months to branch out into opportunities beyond their royal duties.
The Times reports, before the Christmas, the issues of signing deals such as the one with Disney came up in tense conversation with senior members of the royal family.
In another clip with a news reporter on July 20, 2019, Bob briefly talked about being millions of dollars into a filming project he was working on with Harry's conservation project.
In the interview, Bob said that he had known the prince a long time, after covering the Invictus Games in the United States. He also said he sees the film as a great opportunity to support a great cause.
It is reported, there will be a crisis meeting at the start of the week, at the Palace with senior members of the royal family.