Princess Beatrice & Fiance Edo Mapelli's Wedding Postponed
On May 29, 2020, Princess Beatrice was supposed to walk down the aisle to marry her sweetheart Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, however, their wedding has since been canceled due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.
London is currently under lockdown due to the spread of COVID-19. This has led Princess Beatrice, 31, and her fiancé Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, 37, to formally cancel their May royal wedding.
The eldest daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson was set to marry the financier at St. James’s Palace in the UK. Her reception was going to take place at her grandmother, Queen Elizabeth’s, gardens at Buckingham Palace.
Couple not thinking about wedding right now
A spokesperson for the couple explained the cancelation saying: “There are no plans to switch venues or hold a bigger wedding.” The spokesperson continued explaining the couple's current mindset stating:
“They aren’t even thinking about their wedding at this time.”
Invitations weren’t sent out
The spokesperson also shared that the time would come for the couple to “rearrange” things but it was not now. On Thursday, the UK government announced that their lockdown would continue for an added three weeks, which means it would end on May 7, 2020.
The government has also asked people to avoid gatherings outside of close family groups. A source also told “People” magazine that “the invitations were never actually sent out.”
"The worst thing that we could do right now is to ease up too soon.” – @DominicRaab sets out the five conditions that need to be met before the current measures can be lifted.#StayHomeSaveLives pic.twitter.com/KZLbtzZvEM— UK Prime Minister (@10DowningStreet) April 17, 2020
Reception canceled before wedding
Reports previously stated that the reception was not going to happen. At the time, it was said that the couple was discussing having a private ceremony with friends and family instead.
View this post on Instagram
Her Majesty The Queen addresses the UK and Commonwealth in a special broadcast recorded at Windsor Castle. . ‘We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return: we will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again.’ . Watch The Queen’s broadcast in full on our IGTV channel.
Wedding put on hold
However, the novel coronavirus outbreak has made it inevitable that the wedding be put on hold. On Twitter, “Daily Mail” journalist, Rebecca English, confirmed the cancelation.
I’m so excited to announce my engagement to Edo pic.twitter.com/MvvwRRk0HT— Princess Beatrice of York (@yorkiebea) September 26, 2019
Couple is sad about cancelation
She also noted how the couple was “sad but pragmatic.” English also said that, according to the couple’s friends, Beatrice and her fiancé won’t be having a large wedding later in the year as she’s always wanted a small one.
#PrincessBeatrice and her fiancé Edo Mapelli Mozzi have decided to cancel all plans for their wedding on May 29 in light of the extended government lockdown, sources tell me. They reception had already been cancelled but the ceremony at St James’s Palace has now been pulled too.— Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) April 16, 2020
Five people can attend a UK wedding
The Church of England said a minimum of only five people could attend church weddings during the outbreak. The attendees would be the priest, the bride and groom, and two witnesses.
Before this cancelation, the couple had to reschedule their wedding date twice due to the scandal Beatrice’s father faced.
ⓘ We at AmoMama do our best to give you the most updated news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, but the situation is constantly changing. We encourage readers to refer to the online updates from CDС, WHO, or Local Health Departments to stay updated. Take care!