Inside Queen Elizabeth's Decision to Make TV Appearance before Meghan & Harry's Oprah Interview
Queen Elizabeth plans to make a television appearance following Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's announcement for a sit-down interview with Oprah Winfrey.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be sitting down with the media mogul will be the same day as Commonwealth Day. An update on Westminster Abbey's official website on February 22 revealed Queen Elizabeth II would give her annual address.
The event will reportedly take place on a Sunday, March 7. The broadcast will take place during a BBC One special entitled "A Celebration for Commonwealth Day," which replaces the in-person Commonwealth Day service set for March 8.
Queen Elizabeth II poses after awarding Captain Sir Thomas Moore with the insignia of Knight Bachelor at Windsor Castle on July 17, 2020 in Windsor, England | Photo: Getty Images
According to the outlet, the monarch will appear in pre-taped footage from Windsor Castle. Other royal members, including Prince Charles, the Cambridges, Sophie, Countess of Wessex, are said to participate.
March 7 is also the day that Winfrey will interview the Sussexes for CBS. Last week, the network announced that the interview is scheduled for 8 p.m. that evening and will air just hours after the Queen's speech.
Queen Elizabeth II talks with MI5 officers during a visit to the headquarters of MI5 at Thames House on February 25, 2020 in London, England | Photo: Getty Images
The schedule for the Commonwealth Day TV has reportedly been in the pipeline since January. The time slot was reportedly decided around three weeks ago.
Due to the time difference, Markle and Prince Harry’s interview will air in the early morning hours of March 8 in the UK. News of their sit-down interview came a day after they announced that they are expecting their second child.
The Queen was reportedly caught off guard by her grandson and Markle’s announcement on February 14. The royal matriarch was reportedly happy about the news but did not expect them to share it with the world via a photograph released on social media.
"Tonight's announcement caught officials off guard, with no prepared statements. But everyone is delighted, including the Queen Prince Philip and Prince of Wales," said the spokesperson.
The report follows Buckingham's Palace's confirmation that the royal couple won't return as working members of the royal family. They announced the couple would not continue with responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public services.
Later that day, Markle and Prince Harry released their statement noting, "We can all live a life of service. Service is universal," the message from their spokesperson read.
Following their response to the announcement, Prince William is reportedly unhappy with the way his brother responded to the Queen's report. The Duke of Cambridge "is really sad and genuinely shocked" about his demeanor.
According to People, the announcement came just over a year after Prince Harry and Markle first revealed their plans to step down, which came with a one-year review period. As part of stepping down, they will no longer keep their patronages.