CelebrityRoyals

March 25, 2021

Suspect Arrested after Bomb Squad Called for Suspicious Item at Queen Elizabeth's Scotland Home

Share this pen
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail

Advertisement

An unknown man was reportedly apprehended after a bomb disposal team made a suspicious item safe at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Queen’s official Scottish residence in Edinburgh.

According to Reuters, Police Scotland said they were alerted to report a suspicious item on Tuesday evening at the palace, which is in the Scottish capital center.

Following a thorough investigation by the bomb squad, the item was regarded as safe. "Following examination by Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD), it was made safe," said the police.

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh at their Balmoral residence, 1976 | Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement

BOMB SCARE AT THE PALACE

The authorities further explained that a 39-year-old man had been arrested in connection with the incident. There was also no threat to the public, and the investigation is still ongoing.

According to the outlet, Her Majesty was not at the residence because she is currently staying at her Windsor Castle home. She has reportedly spent most of her time there since the COVID-19 outbreak.

Advertisement

The Palace Holyroodhouse is generally opened to the public to visit, but that is no longer the case because of the lockdown. The bomb scare is not something new regarding attempted attacks towards some Royal family members as years ago; someone attempted to assassinate the monarch.

According to the Guardian, back in 1981, a New Zealand teenager fired at the Queen, and according to the investigations, the assassination attempt was brushed aside by officials.

Advertisement

THE QUEEN’S ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT

The teen was identified as Christopher John Lewis, who aimed his .22 rifle at the royal matriarch during her tour. According to an investigation by a reporter, the bullet reportedly missed, and Lewis became obsessed with wiping out the Royal family.

On the other hand, the government worked to conceal how close the 17-year-old had come close to killing her. Two years after the incident, Lewis, who also reportedly planned to kill Prince Charles, escaped from a psychiatric ward.

The teenager ended up killing himself in prison in 1997.

Advertisement

Advertisement

PRINCE CHARLES ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT

Another terrorist named Mark Colborne was reportedly convicted of planning a terrorist attack for Aryan people. Colborne reportedly felt “belittled by society” for being a white, ginger-haired male and fantasized about killing Prince Charles so Prince Harry could become King.

The 37-year-old noted in a diary detailing plans to assassinate the Prince of Wales with a sniper rifle. On June 3, 2014, he was detained after his half-brother found papers describing his racial hatred in his bedroom.

Michael Fagan, the intruder who gained access to the bedroom of Queen Elizabeth in Buckingham Palace in 1982, pictured at the Tower of London, UK, February 9, 1985 | Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement

BUCKINGHAM PALACE INTRUDER

While the culprits failed on their missions, we look at how an intruder, Michael Fagan, gained access into the Queen’s bedroom as depicted in Season 4 of “The Crown.”

According to Harpers Bazaar, the incident occurred in real life back in 1982 at Buckingham Palace, where Michael Fagan broke into the Queen's bedroom while she was sleeping. Fagan was reportedly drunk at the time and made his way while barefoot onto the premises.

He reportedly triggered an internal alarm twice, but the police assigned to the palace turned it off, assuming that it was an error. He gained access into the room, and when asked what his motive was, he reportedly disclosed that he did not know why he did it.  

Advertisement