logo
Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

Rod Stewart and Son Sean’s Trial Canceled & Plea Deal Hearing Set over 2019 Battery Charges Involving Security Guard

Junie Sihlangu
Sep 15, 2021
05:30 A.M.
Share this pen
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterLinkedInLinkedInEmailEmail

In 2019, Rod Stewart and his son allegedly got involved in an altercation that led to battery charges against them. This month, a judge decided that a plea hearing would go ahead.

Advertisement

On December 31, 2019, Rod Stewart, 76, and his adult son, Sean Stewart, 41, were involved in an altercation with a hotel security guard. At the time, the pair were trying to gain access to a New Year’s Eve party.

The event was held at the upscale The Breakers Hotel, and the Stewarts were confronted by Jessie Dixon, a security guard. The rock singer and his son allegedly shoved and pushed the then-33-year-old guard.

Rod Stewart at the 80th Annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony on November 28, 2012, in New York City | Photo: Gary Gershoff/Getty Images

Advertisement

Dixon got into the altercation with the duo because he denied them access to the party. He told Palm Beach police officers that the incident occurred with the singer’s group at the check-in table for a private party.

The group allegedly became loud and started causing a scene. Dixon claimed that he put his hand on Sean’s chest and instructed him to back up and give him space before the singer’s son got into his face.

Sir Rod Stewart at the Bloomberg x Vanity Fair Climate Exchange gala dinner on December 11, 2018, in London, England | Photo: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images

Advertisement

Rod’s son allegedly shoved Dixon backward, and the rock singer punched the security guard in his “left rib cage area” with a closed fist. Two Breakers employees witnessed Sean pushing Dixon and Rod punching him.

Security footage from the incident at the hotel determined that the Stewarts were the “primary aggressors.” However, this month, a Florida judge chose to cancel the Stewarts' trial.

Advertisement

Instead, a hearing has been scheduled for next month to discuss a plea deal to resolve the charges. The hearing was set for October 22, 2021, and will be presided upon by Judge August Bonavita.

Besides Sean [Stewart], Rod [Stewart] is also a parent to seven other children...

The trial had initially been scheduled to start on Tuesday, but it was canceled on Thursday. The Stewarts could face one year in jail, a $1,000 fine, or probation if they're convicted.

Advertisement

The battery charges have taken so long to resolve because of the COVID-19 pandemic and settlement negotiations. The Stewarts' team of lawyers had this to say about the hearing, stating:

"It sounds like everything's been worked out."

Advertisement

On the other hand, late last month, Daily Mail said Dixon's lawyer Gawayne Kelly revealed that the civil issue had been resolved and a full agreement was made. Dixon just needs to sign the necessary documentation.

Besides Sean, Rod is also a parent to seven other children namely: Sarah Streeter, Kimberly Stewart, Ruby Stewart, Renee Stewart, Liam Stewart, Alastair Stewart, and youngest child, Aiden Stewart.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
info

news.AmoMama.com does not support or promote any kind of violence, self-harm, or abusive behavior. We raise awareness about these issues to help potential victims seek professional counseling and prevent anyone from getting hurt. news.AmoMama.com speaks out against the above mentioned and news.AmoMama.com advocates for a healthy discussion about the instances of violence, abuse, sexual misconduct, animal cruelty, abuse etc. that benefits the victims. We also encourage everyone to report any crime incident they witness as soon as possible.