In the expansive realm of the Big Pharma, it is difficult to find information on damages certain drugs can do to your body.
Allopathy has proved to a boon in the field of medicine in many ways, but the biggest issue with the 'pill culture' is the side effects caused by many drugs available in the market.
Allopathic drugs are meant to tackle specific health issues. However, it may also affect other vital organs as a byproduct of the main task. The kidney is one such organ that is prone to most side effects of drugs.
It is essential to go to a doctor and get the prescribed medicine as he/she can recommend a patient the right medicine considering various parameters specific to the individual.
The abundance of the availability of the medicines has encouraged people to opt for drugs without a prescription.
As discussed by The Health and Beauty 365, following are the types of drugs that may affect one's kidneys.
1. Antibiotics: This includes, methicillin, ciprofloxacin, sulfonamides, and vancomycin.
2. Analgesics: This includes acetaminophen, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, naproxen, ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.
3. Heartburn drugs: These include omeprazole, lansoprazole, pantoprazole, rabeprazol, and esomeprazole.
4. COX-2 inhibitors: This includes celecoxib. Two drugs of this kind have been forced to be withdrawn from the market on account of its cardiovascular toxicity, namely, rofecoxib and valdecoxib.
5. High blood pressure drugs: For instance, captopril, that has the brand name, Capoten.
6. Antiviral drugs: This includes Zovirax, aka acyclovir. It is majorly used to treat herpes infection. Indinavir and tenofovir, are used to treat HIV.
7. Lithium: This is usually used to treat bipolar disorder.
8. Rheumatoid arthritis drugs: These drugs include infliximab, chloroquine, and hydroxychloroquine. They are used to treat and cure systemic lupus erythematosus, malaria, and rheumatoid arthritis.
9. Chemotherapy drugs: The drugs that fall into this category are, tacrolimus, quinine, cisplatin, carboplatin, cyclosporine, mitomycin C, interferons and pamidronate bevacizumab.
10. Anticonvulsants: These include Dilantin, aka phenytoin, Tridione, aka trimethadione. These drugs are used to treat conditions like seizures.
The kidneys are one of the most pivotal organs that need to be healthy in order to lead a healthy life. If these drugs are overused, the kidneys can get affected by their toxicity and may get permanently damaged.