Active shooter reported at Texas high school

Junie Sihlangu
May 18, 2018
07:47 A.M.
Share this pen

There has been a shooting at a Santa Fe high school in Texas. A witness has stated that a girl was shot in the leg.


CNN reported that a gunman walked into a class and started shooting. Patients were being taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

KTRK reported that a gunman walked into an art class at Santa Fe High School on Friday and began firing what looked like a shotgun. Dr. Cris Richardson, the assistant principal of the school told reporters that a person has been arrested regarding the shooting.

A hospital spokesman Raul Reyes said patients from the school were taken to a hospital in the nearby city of Galveston. Reyes didn’t say how many they were.


Aerial video from the scene showed several police officers outside the school. Some were seen searching students and their backpacks.

Angelica Martinez, a 14-year-old student, revealed that she and her schoolmates were being evacuated at one point "like it's a fire drill." The entire school district was on lockdown until the situation gets contained.

"We were all standing (outside), but not even five minutes later, we started hearing gunshots. I didn't see anybody shooting, but like (the gunshots) were kind of spaced."

Angelica Martinez, CNN, May 18, 2018


Martinez said everybody started running when they heard the gunshots despite teachers telling them to "stay put." The son of Santa Fe High School athletic director and football team head coach Mark Kanipes, Myles Kanipes, confirmed that his father was on lockdown on campus, outside of the building, but was safe.

Kanipes shared that his father was currently escorting children across the street to the Shell station to get them to safety. Kim Sullivan is the parent of a 17-year-old senior at the school.


She said her daughter called her and said there was a shooting at the school. Her daughter revealed that they were told to run, so they ran to the Shell gas station across the street from the school.

Sullivan shared that there were a lot of children and confused parents who were trying to find their children. Richardson stated that they had done an amazing job to get the students out of the building safely.

He shared that they were reuniting them with their parents. Details about this incident are currently ongoing.