Following their explosive interview, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry revealed shocking claims against the royal family, and they are yet to respond to the accusations.
According to E! Online, "Finding Freedom's" Omid Scobie spoke to the outlet regarding the palace making a statement to address the Duchess and Duke’s racism claims. In their recent tell-all, Markle got candid about the type of treatment she received from royal members.
The former actress shared that she has endured racism since her relationship with Prince Harry began. Markle also revealed she did not receive support from the royal household.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry attend a Terrence Higgins Trust World AIDS Day charity fair at Nottingham Contemporary on December 1, 2017 in Nottingham, England | Photo: Getty Images
THE ROYAL PALACE’S RESPONSE
The 39-year-old opened up about having suicidal thoughts triggered by the unfair treatment she endured during her time as senior royal. She talked about a conversation that came up about her son Archie's skin tone when she was pregnant.
The royal reporter, Scobie, told the outlet how he has been trying to get in contact with various royal aides at the royal household to get a comment on the claims made by the Sussexes. He added the palace remains mum about the interview.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle visit Reprezent 107.3FM on January 9, 2018 in London, England | Photo: Getty Images.
“There has, of course, been none from the palace so far, but I do understand that they are taking their time to work on an appropriate statement," he said. The author believes the royals will break their silence sometime this week.
However, it is unclear how they will approach the situation. Scobie also believes that UK citizens are waiting for the palace to address Markle's racist accusation.
UK REACTION TO THE INTERVIEW
Following the interview, British publications have had a field day criticizing the royal couple over it. BBC's royal correspondent reportedly said the sit-down with Oprah Winfrey had "upended the narrative created by Britain's best-selling newspapers."
According to CBS News, the UK’s newspapers, the Daily Mail and The Sun tabloids have published numerous negative stories about Markle since her relationship with the prince became public.
PUBLIC FIGURES’ REACTION
She may be enduring a lot of public scrutiny from the media and other individuals, but some people have her back, including her dear friend Serena Williams.
Following the damaging interview, Williams went on Twitter to praise Markle for speaking up. She said the comments she made illustrate the pain and cruelty she experienced and defined her as a "selfless friend."
Other stars shared their thoughts on the matter, including Meghan McCain, who reportedly wrote that monarchy had been an archaic and toxic concept since 1776.
THE RATES OF THE INTERVIEW
While many others reacted to the interview, how many tuned in to watch it? According to CNBC, around 17.1 million people tuned in to watch Winfrey’s Sunday night interview with the Duke and the Duchess on CBS.
The two-hour interview reportedly pulled in a 2.6 rating among adults 18-49. According to the outlet, the numbers are likely to increase. This is the largest prime-time audience for any entertainment special during the 2020-2021 TV season.