Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

Prince Charles Hopes to See Harry and Meghan Visiting However They Don’t Feel ‘Safe’ in the UK

Gaone Pule
Jan 24, 2022
07:00 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail

Last year was challenging for the Royal Family. Even when Prince Harry and Meghan Markle welcomed their baby daughter, rumors of conflict between them and the couple persisted in the press.

Advertisement

Following Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle's controversial interview with Oprah Winfrey on  March 2021, there has been rising tension ever since.

The hostility spilled over between a father and son relationship involving Prince Charles and his youngest child Prince Harry.

(L) Prince Charles, Prince of Wales attends the VJ Day National Remembrance event at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire, on August 15, 2020 in Alrewas, England. (R) Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex attend the King Power Royal Charity Polo Match at Billingbear Polo Club on July 10, 2019 in Wokingham, England | Photo: Getty Images)

Advertisement

BABY’S RACE SCANDAL FUELED TENSIONS

The interview with the media mogul televised on CBS severed Prince Harry and his 73-year-old father, including brother Prince William’s relationships.

The Duke of Sussex's spouse, Markle, revealed that there had been concern within the Royal Family about her unborn child’s skin tone.

As a result, her husband condemned his relative for failing to criticize colonial undertones in media coverage in a series of damning and disturbing claims that threatened to spark a racism scandal around Buckingham Palace.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex and their baby son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor meet Archbishop Desmond Tutu and his daughter Thandeka Tutu-Gxashe at the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation during their royal tour of South Africa on September 25, 2019 in Cape Town, South Africa | Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement

The former actress disclosed that an unnamed member of the family raised the issue of how dark their baby Archie’s skin would be while she was pregnant.

According to the Duchess, there were “several conversations about how dark his skin might be when he was born,” adding the information was relayed to her:

“That was relayed to me from Harry. Those were conversations that family had with him.”

Advertisement

However, she declined to reveal who the individual was, stating "that would be very damaging to them." During the two-hour interview, the couple also opened up about their decision to “step back” from their positions as senior royals in January 2020.

The Duke shared their difficult choice came when they received a lack of support from the British media and the Royal Family, stating:

"I took the matter into my own hands.”

Advertisement

He further stated that he took drastic measures out of desperation. The Sussexes initially planned on moving to a commonwealth nation to retain their royal titles but not in a senior capacity.

Ultimately, they were financially cut off from the Royal Family, which removed their official security. The pair then relocated to the US and settled in Los Angeles. "The Netflix and Spotify of it all weren't part of the plan,” said Prince Harry.

The father of two also revealed they were living off money that his late mother, Princess Diana, left him. He addressed the preconceived notion that he blindsided his grandmother, the Queen, when the news broke in 2020.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“I would never do that to my grandmother. I have too much respect for her. My grandmother had been welcoming throughout," said the 37-year-old about taking the big step.

Prince Harry divulged he had multiple conversations with his family, including his dad, who "stopped taking his calls." Although he and the future king of England are now reportedly on speaking terms, their relationship is still not completely healed:

“I feel let down. He's been through something similar. He knows what pain feels like. I will always love him, but there's a lot of hurt that's happened."

Advertisement

The prince revealed during an interview with Apple for the TV docuseries "The Me You Can't See" that his family refused to intervene with the barrage of the media and social media directed at the mother of his kids:

“I thought my family would help, but every single ask, request, warning, whatever it is, just got met with total silence or total neglect.”   

Advertisement

PRINCE CHARLES ‘MAY NEVER FORGIVE’

Since his controversial tell-interview with Markle, 40, the feud between the couple and the Royal Family amplified. A source exclusively told Us Magazine that the Prince of Wales had a hard time moving on from the scandal than Prince William and the royal matriarch:

“With the way things are going, Charles may never forgive Harry, which hasn’t gone down well with Elizabeth. She feels that he’s putting his pride before the best interest of the monarchy.”

According to the insider, the 95-year-old did not want any more drama as she was still dealing with the loss of her late husband, Prince Phillip, who died on April 9, 2021.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The source added Prince Charles was "more stubborn" than his eldest son Prince William who was spotted conversing with his brother Prince Harry at their grandfather’s funeral service.

Although they were not at a point whereby they spoke regularly, the Duke of Cambridge wanted to be the bigger person in this situation:

“He believes that in order to repair damage and destruction from Harry’s interview, the best approach is to keep things civil with his brother than fanning the flames and fighting back with a tit-for-tat attitude.”

Advertisement

CHARLES WANTS TO MEND FENCES

It appears as though the tension between Prince Charles and Prince Harry has subsided this year following a speech about climate change recently.

The Prince of Wales gave his youngest son "credit for his work on climate change showing that he does not want Winfrey to be the end of their relationship," stating:

"My younger son, Harry, has passionately highlighted the impact of climate change, especially in relation to Africa, and committed his charity to be net-zero."

Advertisement

PRINCE CHARLES INVITES HARRY & KIDS

His Royal Highness is willing to host the Sussexes and their young kids in the United Kingdom. Royal sources revealed that the heir to the British throne extended an olive branch to Prince Harry by inviting his family to stay with him on their next visit to the UK.

Prince Charles reportedly expressed his firm wish to spend quality time with his grandchildren, having not seen his grandson Archie, now two, since he was six months old and had not met his granddaughter Lilibet Diana, who arrived in June.

Advertisement

Irrespective of attempts to bury the hatchet, his son Prince Harry feels unsettled about making a trip back to his homeland again.

Recently, the Daily Mail reported the father of two was taking legal action against the Government over its decision to remove his UK police security.

Advertisement

Prince Harry claimed it was “unsafe” for his family to return to England without it. Lawyers representing him have even written a "pre-action protocol" letter to the Home Office, indicating they would seek judicial review if the Sussexes were not provided with continued security in Britain.

While the Duke is looking forward to flying down his family back to his home country, they are hesitant about making the trip because it is too dangerous, a legal representative stated. Prince Harry is nevertheless happy to foot the bill for security himself.

Advertisement