Here is how to make an authentic caramel cake
The Southern Caramel Cake became very popular, especially, after it featured in the movie The Help.
While there are numerous recipes of the caramel cake online, nothing comes close to the classic recipe. The classic caramel recipe has the signature moist and slightly dense yellow butter cake which is not inherently sweet.
The caramel uses granulated sugar and evaporated milk to create the luscious flavor. It takes almost three hours for the cake to prepare but the wait is worth it.
Cake flour - 3 cups Eggs - 6Additional egg yolks - 2Unsalted butter - 1 cupSour cream - 1 cupVegetable Oil - 1/3 cupSalt - 1/2 TspVanilla extract - 2 TbspSugar, granulated - 2 1/2 cupsBaking powder - 1 Tsp
Caramel icing ingredients:
Vanilla extract - 2 TspButter - 1 1/2 sticksEvaporated milk - 2 cans of 12 ounces eachGranulated sugar - 2 cups
To make the Cake:
- Before preparing the cake mix, preheat the oven to exactly 350 degrees.
- Add the cream butter, sugar and oil in a mixing bowl. Set the mixer on high speed until all the ingredients are uniformly mixed and attain a fluffy texture. This should take about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Switch the mixer to medium level and add the eggs and yolks one by one and mix thoroughly.
- Finally, add the vanilla extract.
- In a different bowl, add cake flour salt and baking powder and sift.
- While the mixer is still set on medium, add one portion of the flour mixture followed by a portion of sour cream, and repeat the alternating pattern. Let all the ingredients get mixed.
- Grease three round cake pans (9-inch) and dust a layer of flour on them.
- Fill the pans with the prepared flour and spread them evenly.
- Place the pans in the preheated oven and let them bake for 23-30 minutes. Keep a watch on the pans to ensure that the batter does not overbake and become too dry.
- Remove the pans from the oven and set them aside for about 10 minutes to cool.
- After cooling, remove the cakes from the pans carefully and let them cool completely.
To make the icing:
- Place a saucepan on medium heat and add evaporated milk, butter, and sugar. Let the ingredients melt in uniformly.
- Monitor the mixture over medium heat for about 1 1/2 hrs, ensuring that it does not burn. The mixture will thicken and eventually turn golden brown.
- Test the thickness by dipping a spoon in it and checking the thickness on its back.
- Once the thickness is attained, turn off the heat and add vanilla extract to the mixture.
Allow the mixture to cool for about 20 minutes. It will further thicken and can then be applied as icing on the cake.
The caramel topping on the cake imparts all the craving for all the people with a sweet tooth. This classic recipe results in a perfectly soft and fluffy cake and a deliciously silky layer of icing.