30 Facts about Prince Harry and Prince William
While Prince Harry and Prince William readily make headlines with their private lives and royal duties, there are a few lesser-known facts about these brothers even die-hard fans might have missed.
- As a nine-month-old baby, Prince William made his first overseas trip with his parents, Prince Charles and Princess Diana when they had an official visit to New Zealand and Australia in 1983.
- While Prince William wanted to be a policeman as a child, that soon changed after his brother, Prince Harry pointed out that he will be King one day instead.
- Princess Diana invited the supermodel Cindy Crawford to lunch at Kensington Palace so that Prince William, thirteen years old at the time, could meet his crush.
- Prince William had a version of his favorite cake, chocolate biscuit cake, made as one of the cakes for his wedding to Kate Middleton.
- Kate Middleton and Prince William's wedding ceremony got watched by an estimated two billion people worldwide and 24.5 million people in Britain.
- A school-friend accidentally hit Prince William on the forehead with a golf club during a game in 1991. The accident left him with a scar he refers to as his "Harry Potter" scar still visible to this day.
- Kate and Prince William met at St. Andrews University in Scotland, where he switched his studies to geography after he initially studied the history of arts.
- The Elton John classic, "Your Song" got sung by Ellie Goulding as Kate and Prince William's first dance at their wedding reception.
- Prince William became the first royal father to drive his wife and newborn home from the hospital, instead of traditionally being taken home by their security detail.
- As a child, Prince William got nicknamed "Wombat" by his parents while the media dubbed him "Wills."
- Prince William's relationship with Kate started out as friendship and later turned into romance when he shared an apartment with a mutual friend.
- Wanting to avoid unwanted attention, Prince William also got known as "Steve" while he attended St. Andrews University.
- While it handicapped Prince William's polo-playing, the world first learned that he is left-handed in 1991, when he signed his name in the Llandaf Catherdral's visitors book in Wales.
- Kate and Prince William enjoy their telly time and are big fans of "Homeland," the Australian soap "Neighbours" and think that "Game of Thrones" is also worth watching.
- The Prince and Kate live in Queen Elizabeth's late sister, Princess Margaret's former home in Kensington Palace. The four-story apartment 1a has three-bedroom suites, three kitchens, five reception rooms, and a day and night nursery.
- Similarly to his brother, Prince Harry made his first trip overseas with his parents at eight months old to Italy in May 1985.
- After finishing school, Prince Harry took a gap year and went to Africa, Argentina, and Australia where he worked with a number of charities.
- When Prince Harry finished his gap year, he attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst where he prepared for his military career.
- In the military, Prince Harry got named Captain Harry Wales.
- In 2002, when Prince Harry turned 18, the Queen gave him his own Coat of Arms, which he helped design.
- Since Prince Andrew flew helicopters in the 1982 Falklands War, Prince Harry became the first member of the royal family to be in combat when he served in Afghanistan.
- Even though Prince Harry's official surname is Mountbatten-Windsor, his full name is Henry Charles Albert David of Wales, with the official name of Prince Henry of Wales.
- On Prince Harry's 30th birthday, both princes received Princess Diana's iconic wedding dress as stated in her will.
- To raise awareness for wounded servicemen and women, Prince Harry trekked to the North Pole in 2011 with the Walking with the Wounded charity.
- The Prince has a loyal fan base of female followers referred to as "Harry Hunters."
- When Prince William and Kate got married at Westminster Abbey in 2011, Prince Harry served as his brother's best man.
- After Kate and Prince William got married, Prince Harry admitted to being "just as nervous as William" before the wedding.
- Arthur Landon, one of the richest young men in Britain, and the son of Virgin businessman Sir Richard, Sam Branson, and Thomas van Straubenzee are Prince Harry's closest friends.
- A reality television show called "I Wanna Marry Harry" aired in 2014, wherein hopefuls competed for the attention of a Prince Harry lookalike.
- Prince Harry's official residence is Kensington Palace in London.
Being a royal family member may sound daunting to the average Joe, with century-old traditions and etiquette, there is also a list of rules that everyone in the royal family has to follow.