Buckingham Palace Issues Statement after Prince Harry & Meghan Markle's Decision to Step Back from Royal Roles
Queen Elizabeth has released a statement in response to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's announcement that they are stepping down as senior members of the royal family.
Just hours after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced that they would be stepping down as senior members of the royal family the Queen's office at Buckingham Palace released a statement, which said:
"Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through."
Harry & Meghan released a statement that they were quitting as senior royals without telling the Queen, Charles or William. The Royal family’s response was the second statement, issued two hours later. It makes it VERY clear nothing has been decided, regardless of what H&M want. pic.twitter.com/ymmIcKopgE— Emily Andrews (@byEmilyAndrews) January 8, 2020
A source said that while there had been talks about Harry and Meghan taking a different route, they made the decision public without consulting the family.
A royal source told the magazine that, "there is a lot of hurt about this." The contradicting statements from the Palace and the couple's announcement is a clear indication of tensions that have been suspected to be brewing in the Palace for several months.
"We intend to step back as 'senior' members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen."
View this post on Instagram
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” - The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA
The news came hours after they made their first public appearance of the year at London's Canada. Meghan and Harry went there to personally thank Canadian High Commissioner Janice Charette and her staff for their hospitality after their holiday stay in Canada.
The couple had spent a six-week break away from their royal duties and from the public eye when they jetted off to the mountains of Vancouver.
It is also speculated that after opening up about their personal struggles in ITV's documentary Harry & Meghan: An African Journey, their decision to break away has a lot to do with the media scrutiny and invasion of privacy they have endured with the British press.