Chris Brown files defamation suit against alleged rape victim after being released without charges
Chris Brown has filed a false accusation lawsuit in Paris against the woman who accused he and two other men of rape last week.
Following his release by the French police on Tuesday, the R&B singer, on Thursday, filed a defamation complaint against the same 24-year-old woman who accused himself, his bodyguard, and another man in his entourage, of rape.
New York Times reports that the complaint, submitted by Brown’s attorney, Raphael Chiche, requests the Paris Public Prosecutor’s office to investigate the claim as a criminal matter. The charge carries a penalty of five years in prison and a fine of around $50,000.
Brown was arrested on Monday along with two other people on “potential charges of aggravated rape and drug infractions.”
The woman who filed the rape complaint reportedly said she met the Grammy winner, 29, overnight between January 15 and 16 at the club Le Crystal in the 8th arrondissement near the Champs-Elysees.
BREAKING: Police officials say US singer Chris Brown detained in Paris after rape accusation.— The Associated Press (@AP) January 22, 2019
He was with his friends, and she went along with the group to Brown’s room at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel near the Concorde Plaza in central Paris.
In an interview with French magazine, “Closer,” the accuser claimed Brown assaulted her when she went to the bathroom:
“At one point, I went to the bathroom. Chris Brown followed me and took me by the right arm. He made me enter a sort of dressing room. He closed the door. …It lasted 25 to 30 minutes. It's still too difficult for me to explain in detail what he did, but it was brutal and violent.”
She then claimed she was also raped by the singer’s bodyguard and one of his friends.
Police is Paris reportedly have trouble believing the story of the woman who accused Chris Brown of rape.— Complex Music (@ComplexMusic) January 24, 2019
Brown has been allowed to keep his passport, a sign charges won't be filed: https://t.co/50vBF8aW5X pic.twitter.com/2wZPM9yRx3
After his release on Tuesday, Brown slammed the allegations in a now-deleted Instagram post. Sharing a picture with the text, “This [expletive] lyin’!” he added in all caps:
“This is false. …For my daughter and my family this is so disrespectful and is against my character and morals.”
DailyMail.com also reported that Brown, after his release, continues to remain in the same hotel where the alleged rape took place and is shooting a music video in Paris.
Meanwhile, Jean-Marc Descoubes, the accuser’s lawyer, said in a telephone interview on Thursday that he had not seen Mr. Brown’s complaint.
“My client maintains her accusations against Chris Brown and the others. She will be carrying on,” he said.