Mom Recalls Terrifying Moment 2-Year-Old ‘Slipped Away’ in Her Arms after Choking on a Sausage

Beth Ranger has opened up about the traumatic moment her two-year-old daughter Mia-Rose tragically "slipped away" in her arms after choking on a cocktail sausage.

In June 2018, the 22-year-old mother, from Dartford, had enjoyed a family day out with little Mia-Rose, her other children, sister, and niece. However, it soon turned into the worst day of her life.

"It was a normal, hot day, we were just in the park together," Ranger told News Shopper. 

The devastated mother added that when they arrived home, she gave the children sausages as a quick snack.

"Next thing I know my little one started choking," she continued.

Family park | Photo: Shutterstock

Family park | Photo: Shutterstock

"I couldn't sit and watch her go again, so I ran outside of the hospital room in tears. I eventually went back in, and she was gone two minutes later."

Ranger was in the kitchen preparing supper when she heard Mia-Rose coughing. She promptly checked her daughter if she was alright.

She then saw her sister slapping the back of Mia-Rose. Unfortunately, the sausage couldn't be removed.

Ranger called an ambulance and rushed over to give her CPR when the little child began to turn blue and stopped breathing.

Cocktail sausages | Photo:

Cocktail sausages | Photo:

"I knew in my heart she was gone. She'd slipped away," she told The Sun. "I kept thinking, how the hell can I perform CPR on my child knowing that she's going to die? It was traumatic."

Mia-Rose was immediately taken to Darent Valley Hospital in Kent after an ambulance crew arrived and failed to remove the food lodged in her airway.

Due to a lack of oxygen, the little girl suffered severe brain damage. She then spent time on life support.

Ambulance car rides trough tunnel | Photo: Shutterstock

Ambulance car rides trough tunnel | Photo: Shutterstock

Faced with the hardest decision of their lives, Ranger and her partner, Mia-Rose's dad Liam Browne, decided to put an end to the toddler's suffering. They agreed to switch her life-support off.

"It took seven minutes for her to go," Ranger said. "I'd already seen her go once when she stopped breathing in my arms at home."

She added: "I couldn't sit and watch her go again, so I ran outside of the hospital room in tears. I eventually went back in, and she was gone two minutes later."

Baby's foot in mother hands | Photo: Shutterstock

Baby's foot in mother hands | Photo: Shutterstock

Despite the pain of losing her daughter, Ranger preferred to remember happier times with her.

"She was always smiling. I could have a bad day, but just one look at her face would make me feel better," she said.

This is not the only instance where a child dies from choking. In 2017, two-year-old Ayyan Umar passed away from choking on grapes.

Related posts
'Mom Instinct': Mother Relives Terrifying Moment She Fought off a Cougar Mauling Her Young Son
People Apr 05, 2019
'Mom Instinct': Mother Relives Terrifying Moment She Fought off a Cougar Mauling Her Young Son
Young Mom of 3-Year-Old Daughter Chokes to Death While Performing a Party Trick
World News Mar 26, 2019
Young Mom of 3-Year-Old Daughter Chokes to Death While Performing a Party Trick
9-year-old killed herself after mom told her not to watch videos on the phone
News Feb 19, 2019
9-year-old killed herself after mom told her not to watch videos on the phone
18-year-old regrets defending her father after he abused her and left her pregnant twice
Jan 18, 2019
18-year-old regrets defending her father after he abused her and left her pregnant twice